Indoor tanning raises the risk of skin cancer, especially in children and younger adults. MSDH regulates tanning facilities, equipment and operation.
For Tanning Facility Operators
The following items must be submitted to register a new tanning facility.
- Application Form PDF
- Tanning Operator List PDF
- Operating and Safety Procedures
A sample document for developing operating and safety procedures for a tanning facility, as required by Rule 6.1.4(2)(e) of the MSDH Health Regulations for Tanning Facilities. Facilities may include additional procedures as needed.
- A copy of your operating and safety procedures
- A copy of your training certificate from an MSDH recognized tanning training program
- Fee of $40 per bed or booth
Fees and other payments related to tanning facilities must be made electronically through MSDH's online payment portal.
Tanning Unit Labeling
Recent rule changes by the Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) require that stickers, emblems or labels bearing the following information be placed on all new and existing tanning beds/booths by August 26, 2015.
Section 21 CFR 878.4635(b)(6)(A) of the FDA Code of Federal Regulations addresses the new requirements. This change was made as the result of FDA reclassifying tanning units from Class I (general controls) which are exempt from premarket notification to Class II (special controls) which require premarket notification.
How does this affect you?
- Manufacturers are required to add the new labeling to all new units sold and provide the new labeling for all units previously sold.
- Contact your tanning unit supplier or the manufacturer to request the labeling if they have not contacted you.
- If the manufacturer is no longer in business, MSDH will assist you in meeting the labeling requirements.
- This is a labeling requirement only. Persons under the age of 18 may still tan as long as the labeling is readily visible on each unit and the required consent forms have been completed and are on file.
For questions or concerns, contact the MSDH Office of Environmental Health at 601-576-7690.
Training for Tanning Operators
The following are sources for training and certification for operation of a tanning device.