The Youth Tobacco Survey (YTS) collects data on the smoking habits of young people in grades 6 through 12.
Survey data are used to design, implement, and evaluate comprehensive tobacco control programs that work to prevent young people from starting tobacco use and help those who have already started using tobacco to quit.
The YTS asks questions designed to gather data on these seven topics:
- Prevalence of tobacco use among young people
- Tobacco-related knowledge and attitudes of young people
- Exposure to pro- and anti-tobacco media and advertising
- Minors' access to tobacco
- Tobacco-related school curricula
- Secondhand smoke
- Addiction to tobacco; initiation and cessation of tobacco use